I've never had such problem with After Effects. I tried import an MP4 file into After Effects but only image without video. I didn't get any error message and it just ignored the video itself. I tried some other MP4 files and all succeed.
After Effects supports importing MP4 files. If you fail to import MP4 files, the problem is the video codec or audio codec doesn't meet the requirement of After Effects input file, for example, After Effects supports MP4 encoded with MPEG-4 and H.264, but if the source MP4 file that import into After Effects is encoded with DivX, XviD, VP8, VP6, VP9, etc, the problem arises. In that case, the effective solution is to convert the unsupported MP4 file to After Effects more compatible formats. A number of Video Converters available enable you to convert MP4 files and in this article, we recommend a smart MP4 to After Effects Converter to solve the issue with ease.
How to Convert MP4 to After Effects?
Faasoft Video Converter (for Mac, for Windows), the best all-in-one video converter tool, allows you to convert all MP4 files encoded with different audio and video codecs to After Effects supported MP4 MPEG-4 with three steps. With its batch conversion feature and built-in editing tool, you can optimize multiple MP4 files before importing them into After Effects.
- Support converting MP4 files to the series of After Effects like After Effects CC 2019, After Effects CC 2018, After Effects CC 2017, After Effects CC 2015.3, After Effects CC, After Effects CS 6, etc;
- Support converting After Effects unsupported video files in MKV, WTV, ASF, XMV, DivX, Xvid, QT, AMV, TRP, SMV and more to a more compatible format;
- Support converting After Effects incompatible audio files in FLAC, WMA, ALAC, CAF, M4B, OPUS, AC3, AU, etc to After Effects recognized MP3, WAV, AIFF, etc;
- It also enables you to convert a ton of video and audio into other popular video editor software like Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro, Edius, Adobe Premiere, iMovie and more;
- It supports converting any video and audio into popular portable devices and players.
A Step by Step Guide to Convert MP4 to After Effects
To convert MP4 to After Effects with this program, the first thing you need to do is to download the trial version. Note that two versions are available and make sure you've got the proper version. In the following step by step guide, we will take the Windows version as example.
Step 1 Add MP4 file
Once the installation is done, launch Faasoft Video Converter on your computer. On the top of the program, there is a button named "Add File" and hit it. Select the MP4 file that you need to import into After Effects and click "Open" button to load it.
As mentioned earlier, Faasoft Video Converter supports batch convert MP4 files. To add multiple MP4 files, you'd better to put all MP4 files into a folder and drag the folder to the program.
Step 2 Set After Effects supported format
It is easy to choose the output format. Just click "Profile" button. From the pop-up menu, there are multiple formats that you can select. We recommend you to designate "MP4 MPEG-4 Video (*.mp4)" as the output format from the "General Video" category.
Step 3 Activate the conversion
Click "Destination" button to select where the output file load to. By now everything is ok, click the round "Convert" button and patiently wait as the program is processing the MP4 conversion. It is so efficient that the conversion will be done quickly. Once the conversion process is finished and you can get the converted MP4 file by clicking "Open Folder" button. That's it!