If your video files don't have subtitle, you can look for correspondent subtitle file from Internet or create a subtitle file by yourself. Some player, like VLC, can load subtitle from independent subtitle file, while most popular video players, like Windows Media Player, QuickTime, iTunes, cannot.
If you want to show subtitle in these popular players, you'd better to add subtitle to the video file itself. If you want to play in mobile device, we suggest adding it as hard subtitle. Hard subtitle is one portion of the video image which means you cannot disable it, and all video players support it. On the contrary, soft subtitle is a stream in video files, you can show or hide it when play the video file. It needs more CPU power and is not supported by all players.
We have written a series of articles about how to add subtitles to video like add subtitles to MP4, add subtitles to AVI, add subtitles to MKV, etc. If you have any trouble in embedding subtitles to video, just read through these guides for help. Sometimes, you want to make the subtitle special and unique. Therefore, you may need a way to edit subtitles as your wish before add them to your video. This article will introduce how to get the work done, preferably with easy steps.
Video Subtitles Editor
Faasoft Subtitle Editor (for Mac, for Windows) is such a program that can help you to edit subtitles without any hassles, which supports all kinds of subtitle formats like SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, IDX, etc and is rich with subtitle editing features like edit subtitle font, color, size, style, transparency, vertical space and more. SRT format supports some simple formating tags similar as HTML, and SSA supports more rich formating, but not all players support these tags. This subtitle editor doesn't support format tags either. But it enable you to specify font, color, transparency and other text formats before conversion.
- Directly add subtitles in SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, IDX, etc to nearly all kinds of video;
- Convert soft subtitles to hard subtitles within 3 steps;
- Remove subtitles from MKV, MP4, WMV, AVI, FLV, OGV, 3GP and more;
- Convert MP4, AVI, MOV, SWF, FLV, MP3, CAF, WAV, VOC, and 1000+ other formats;
- Edit videos with the advanced video editing functions like trimming, cropping, adding watermark, subtitles etc;
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra), 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Before get work done, you first should download the powerful Faasoft Subtitles Editor. Once you have completed the installation process after downloading the application from the website, you can learn how to edit subtitles quickly and easily in the following guide.
Step 2 Load subtitle and make settings
Click "Effect" button on the toolbar to switch to "Video Edit" window and then go to "Subtitle" pane. There you can edit the subtitles.
- Click "+" to add subtitles, or click "-" to delete the subtitle that you import;
- Click the triangle button of Font, Color, Size, and Style to choose the satisfactory parameters;
- Drag the Transparency slider right and left or enter a value in the right textbox or click up and down arrows to adjust the subtitle transparency;
- Drag the Vertical Position slider right and left or enter a value in the right textbox or click up and down arrows to adjust the vertical position of the subtitle;
- Click "OK" to apply the settings.