Having a lot of precious MXF videos in hand, either recorded by Camcorder like Sony XDCAM , Panasonic P2, etc yourself or shared by family and friends and want to watch or edit them? You might have tried very hard, but only to find that MXF is such a pesky thing that it's impossible to directly neither play MXF files in Apple products, Windows Players and Android devices, nor edit MXF in frequently-used software like iMovie and Windows Movie Maker, let alone insert MXF video into PowerPoint for a presentation. What the hell is MXF format?
MXF (Material eXchange Format) is a video container format targeted at professional video and broadcast applications established by Pro-MPEG Forum and SMPTE. It may contain compressed or uncompressed audio and video, and frame-based metadata, include timecode. Videos in MXF may be compressed in MPEG-2, DNxHD or any other formats. Nowadays, only professional video editing systems, such as Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro via XDCAM Transfer, Avid, accept this format.
In this case, the best way to play MXF files on most popular players and devices is by using Faasoft MXF Converter (for Windows, for Mac) to convert MXF to more compatible formats like MOV, AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, and ASF, etc.
Why Faasoft MXF Converter is highly recommended?
To begin with, it is just the right one that has the key feature of converting MXF to more popular video formats like convert MXF to MOV, convert MXF to AVI, convert MXF to MP4, WMV, MKV, ASF, FLV, OGV, DV, WebM, etc to make it possible to play MXF files back on various players and devices. In addition to MXF, it is compatible with a large number of video and audio formats.
Secondly, to save your time, it does MXF conversion at a really high speed like 30 times faster than other converters. And you can import more than one file at a time to batch convert MXF files.
Thirdly, it offers minor editing of MXF videos like trimming, cropping, adding subtitle/watermark to videos, merging files into one, adjusting volume/bitrate of the video, rotating videos 90 degree, etc and the same applies to almost all video and audio files.
Finally, and also very important, this MXF Converters provides some optimized presets for popular devices like iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android, Xbox, etc to make your conversion simpler.
Start the Conversion from MXF to AVI, MOV, MP4, WMV, etc
Now, let's follow the detailed guide to start converting MXF to MOV, AVI, MP4, etc after install and launch Faasoft MXF Converter at first.
Step 2 Set output formats
Press "Profile" drop-down button to choose output formats as you need.
- Select output formats from "iPhone", "iPad and Apple TV" and "iPod" categories in order to play MXF files in iPhone, iPad, iPod, iTunes and Apple TV;
- Set output formats as "AVI Audio-Video Interleaved (*.avi)" and "WMV Windows Media Video (*.wmv)" from "General Video" category so that you can play MXF files on Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker and PowerPoint;
- Appoint "MOV QuickTime Video (*.mov)" as output format from "General Video" menu to play MXF files back on QuickTime;
- Assign "ProRes Apple ProRes codec (*.mov)" as output format from "General Video" menu so as to edit MXF file on Final Cut Pro;
- To import MXF file to iMovie, choose "iMovie Video (*.mp4)" from the "General Video" category, If you are using the Mac version of Faasoft MXF Converter. Conversely, please select "MP4 MPEG-4 Video (*.mp4)" or "H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Video (*.mp4)" as the output formats;
- If you want to extract MP3, WAV, M4A, Apple Lossless and other audio files from MXF file, set output formats from "General Audio" or "Lossless Audio" categories.
MXF is lack of compatibility with most common players, even VLC, which still needs to install the Mainconcept Reference codec and directly run your MXF files on it, and therefore, I think Faasoft MXF Converter, as a free MXF Player, is an ideal tool to play MXF on both Mac and Windows.