Play WMV on Mac - How to Play WMV Videos on Mac (Yosemite Included)?
Easily Convert WMV to Mac Compatible Formats to Solve "Can't Play WMV on Mac" Issue
WMV (Windows Media Video) format is Microsoft's proprietary video file format which Apple's Mac OS X system and QuickTime player don't support this format. So that you'll encounter the following situations when you play WMV on Mac OS X system or QuickTime player:
- My PC friends are always sending me .wmv files, is there a way I can view this files on my iMac?
- I have a *.wmv video to show my friend and I would like to give it to her on a flash drive to see, but she has a Mac. Could she play it on the Mac?
- What is the best way to get .wmv files to play on my MacBook Pro, running OS X (Mountain Lion) v.10.8.3?
- I can't play WMV movies anymore and all software is up to date including QuickTime.
- Basically, I bought a MAC and now would like to know how can I play the WMV videos on it? Thanks In Advance!
- I want to be able to play a WMV file on my Mac, but can't decide which plugin/software to install. Any suggestions?
This article will introduce two methods on how to play WMV files on Mac without any hassle.
Method One: Play WMV on Apple's computer with Windows system
Nowadays, you can install Windows operating system, XP, Vista, 7, 8 on Apple's computer, iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini with Boot Camp, and this system can co-exist with the built in Mac OS X system side by side. If you start the Windows system, you can access any files in Mac Drive, and double click any WMV file in Mac system to play it.
Method Two: Convert WMV to Mac OS X System Supported Formats
However, most users of Apple's Computer only have Mac OS X system with them, how to play WMV without Windows? In this case, a highly recommended solution is to convert WMV to Mac OS X system popular formats like MP4 and MOV, etc.
Faasoft WMV Converter is the best choice to convert WMV to Mac OS X system MP4 or MOV, etc with 100% original quality. Besides converting WMV to MOV, WMV to MP4, Faasoft WMV Converter also allows you to convert WMV to almost all popular video formats like WMV to AVI, WMV to FLV, WMV to AVCHD, WMV to MPG, etc.
If you just want the audio of WMV files, just set the output formats like MP3, WAV, M4A, AAC, AC3, etc from "General Audio" or "Lossless Audio" categories and you will extract audio files from your WMV videos or movies easily.
How to Convert WMV to Mac OS X System Supported Formats?
Free download and install Faasoft WMV Converter, and then launch it. When all done, just follow the four steps to convert WMV to Mac OS X system formats.
Step 1 Add WMV to Faasoft WMV Converter
Just drag and drop WMV files to the main interface of Faasoft WMV Converter, and your files will be loaded instantly.
Step 2 Set output formats
Click "Profile" drop-down button to select "MOV QuickTime Video (*.mov)" and "MP4 MPEG-4 Video (*.mp4)" from "General Video" category.
Note: If your WMV files are HD, please choose output formats from "HD Video" category.
Step 3 Edit WMV Files (optional)
Click "Trim" button of the program to optimize your videos or movies as your desire:
- Press "Trim" tab to cut the segments you don't want to convert by setting the start time and end time;
- Press "Crop" tab to remove the black edges around your movie video and customize your movie;
- Press "Image" tab to set the output video image brightness, contrast, saturation;
- Press "Watermark" tab to add text or picture watermarks to your videos and movies;
- Press "Effect" tab to add video effects like "Black and White" or to use "Deinterlace" to convert interlaced video to the progressive video;
- Press "Subtitle" tab to add or remove subtitle.
Click the "Setting..." button > "Advanced" to set the output video and audio parameters like bitrate, resolution, frame rate, aspect ratio, audio volume, sample rate, audio channel and more.
Step 4 Convert WMV to Mac
Click the big "Convert" button of the program to start and finish WMV to Mac OS X system conversion within minutes.
Free WMV Players on Mac OS X System
Fortunately, there are many wonderful powerful and free players for Mac system can play WMV file directly without conversion, such as Faasoft WMV Converter, VLC, MplayerX.
- Faasoft WMV Converter
Faasoft WMV Converter is more than a video converter. It supports playing nearly all kinds of video files freely like WMV, ASF, MP4, MOV, M4V, MKV, FLV, OGV, MPG, MTS, WTV, etc.
- VLC Media Player
VLC is a nice free WMV Player for Mac users, with which, you can play WMV, AVI, MKV, FLV, etc. But you have to install some codec packages to let VLC work on WMV.